Get Help Now
The following is intended as a useful guide of online resources and organisations offering mental health support in the United Kingdom. Therapy Unboxed is not responsible for any information or services offered by these organisations and websites.
Crisis Support and Helplines - United Kingdom
If you or someone you know is in mental health crisis and needs medical help fast:
- Ring 999 to contact emergency services
- Go to your nearest A&E department
If it is not a medical emergency, but you still need urgent help:
- Ring 111 for professional health advice and guidance on where to access appropriate health services.
- Visit NHS website
- Ring 116 123 (Free, 24/7)
- Provide emotional support and allow you to talk about feelings of distress and despair.
- Offer non-judgemental support and completely confidential (They will not contact emergency services due to their strict confidentiality policy)
Mental Health Helplines for Everyone
- Phone 0300 304 7000
- Provide out of hours mental health and emotional support and information to anyone affected by mental health, including family, friends and carers.
- A list of organisations in the UK that provide helplines by topic.
- Phone 0300 123 3393 (Local call rates, 9am - 6pm, Mon-Fri)
- Text 86463
- Provide information on types of mental health issues, where to get help, medication and alternative treatments
Rethink Advice and Information Service
- 0300 5000 927 (Local call rates, 9.30am - 4pm)
- Provide practical help and information on issues such as the Mental Health Act, community care, benefits, debt, criminal justice and carers’ rights.
Mental Health Websites for Everyone
- A not-for-profit organisation committed to building a happier and more caring society with practical and evidence based ideas for action.
Mental Health Websites by Topic
Abuse (domestic violence, child, sexual abuse)
- Provides support for people affected by sexual abuse in childhood, with a dedicated support helpline, free online resources and training.
- Phone 0800 1111 - 24/7 helpline for children, free, confidential support for young people
- Phone 0808 800 5000 - 24/7 helpline for adults concerned a child might be at risk of abuse.
- Supports anyone who has experienced rape, child sexual abuse or any other form of sexual violence.
- Phone 0808 2000 247 (Free, 24/7)
- Domestic Violence Helpline in partnership with Women’s Aid
Addiction and Substance Misuse
- Information and support for families affected by alcohol and drugs.
- Run self help groups based on a 12 step model to change drinking behaviours.
- Phone 0300 123 1110 (Free, Mon - Fri 9am - 8pm, Sat - Sun 11am - 4pm)
- Confidential helpline for people who are concerned about their own or someone else’s drinking.
- Provides education on legal and illegal drugs to teenagers and adolescents.
- Provides information and support for anyone affected by Anxiety
- Provides self help based recovery via their helpline and online resources for any kind of anxiety disorder.
- Provides support and information for those affected by Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Provides help to sufferers of phobias, OCD and other anxiety disorders to overcome their fears.
- Supports and advises people after a death in England and Wales with practical issues that need to be managed after a bereavement.
- Supports families who have experienced the loss of a child.
- Bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents provide peer support for others who are bereaved.
- Provide support, advice and information when someone dies
- Supports those bereaved by suicide
- Self help organisation that offers support to everyone affected by depression.
- Support for anyone affected by perinatal mental health issues (depression and psychosis) and their partners.
- Provides ongoing care, emotional support and practical guidance for anyone affected by eating disorders.
- Supports anyone affected by eating disorders with a helpline, online resources and peer support groups.
- Provides support and raises awareness of eating disorders in men.
ACAS - Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service
- Free and impartial information and advice for employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations.
- Business Network with members working together to tackle wide range of issues in the workplace and helpful for organisations looking to embed a wellbeing strategy.
- Free expert and impartial occupational health advice for anyone looking for support with issues around health and work.
- Provides information to help organisations raise awareness of mental health at work.
- Provides support to veterans, TA and reservists with military trauma and PTSD.